Summer feels like it's coming to an end and it's not even September yet! The nights are getting cooler, I can sleep with a blanket and my pug finally wants to snuggle me again - which are all good things. But, I'm not ready for summer to be completely over. So, I made these Chocolate Coconut Cookies because they are the perfect summer cookie. They are a soft and chewy coconut cookie with chocolate glaze - my two favorite flavors in one cookie. Find the recipe below.
Chocolate Coconut Cookies | Makes 2 Dozen Cookies
- 1 stick (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
- 170 grams (3/4 cup) organic cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons organic coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 2 organic large eggs
- 212 grams (1 2/3 cups) organic all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 57 grams (2/3 cup) organic fine shredded unsweetened coconut
- 142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
- 30 grams (1/3 cup) organic Dutch cocoa, sifted
- 3 Tablespoons organic milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, sugar, coconut extract and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and there are no butter chunks.
Add the eggs and mix just slightly (enough to break the yolks).
In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder, sea salt and coconut and whisk together. Then add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low until a cookie dough forms.
On two cookie sheets with parchment paper, form cookie dough into 24 dough balls (12 on each tray). The dough balls should look like a round disk and be about 2" in diameter and spaced at least 1" apart.
Bake for 11 minutes.
Once the cookies have cooled, start the glaze. In a medium mixing bowl, add all ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Push all the cookies together so they are touching (and so you don't waste any glaze). Drizzle the tops of the cookies with glaze.
Store in an airtight container.
Gluten Free - Replace the organic flour with 227 grams (1 1/2 scant cups) organic gluten free flour blend. Our favorite is Namaste Organic Perfect Flour Blend.
High Altitude - Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes.