Sometimes holiday desserts are just SO festive. Like red and green threw up all over them, had a baby and then dumped their garage sale stuff off too - that is all red and green. Holidays aren't always about color, and sometimes you can be festive without being overly festive. These cookies are exactly that. These adorable tree cookies look like Christmas. And, the combination of lemon and rosemary is nice and refreshing compared to peppermint everything. Make them this week, they are the perfect end to Christmas dinner.
Lemon Rosemary Tree Shortbreads | Makes 24-30 Cookies
- 2 sticks (227 grams) organic salted butter, softened
- 142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon organic lemon flavor (like Frontier Co-Op)
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
- 6 grams organic dried rosemary
- extra organic flour for rolling dough
- organic cane sugar (for dusting)
- 9 grams organic egg whites
- 30 grams (3 Tablespoons) organic powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp. organic vanilla extractMethod
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add butter, powdered sugar, lemon flavor and vanilla extract. Mix on low until all ingredients are combined and there’s no butter chunks.
Add flour, rosemary and lemon zest into mixing bowl and mix on low until combined.
On a floured surface, roll out the cookie dough to 1/4 inch and cut out tree shaped cookies.
Place cookies on a baking sheet with parchment paper at least 1 inch apart.
Bake cookies for 13-15 minutes.
Dust cookies with organic cane sugar when they come out of the oven.
Store cookies in a cookie jar.
To make the glaze: In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment whisk egg whites and vanilla extract until frothy. On slow speed, add in powdered sugar little by little until it becomes thick and shiny white.
Whisk on high until it forms stiff peaks, and put in piping bag with Ateco tip #2. Pipe around the edges or onto the tree, whatever you want!
Gluten Free - Replace the organic flour with 227 grams (scant 1 1/2 cups) organic gluten free flour blend + 57 grams (1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon) organic coconut flour.
High Altitude - Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.