Dark Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti

Today it is really starting to feel like fall in Mammoth. I love the transition from summer to fall. I love the nights getting colder, the summer crowds leaving town, and the locals coming out to play. I feel like everyone that walks into the bake shop is a personal friend that I haven't seen in a while because everyone has been so busy during the summer.


Fall also brings on fall baking - which is everyone's favorite time of year! And while everyone is baking spiced cookies and pumpkin cakes - I'm just not quite there yet. So, I'm starting out fall with these Dark Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti. I love baking biscotti in the fall. The weather here really makes for the best climate for biscotti - cool, crisp, and dry.


Biscotti is also the perfect dipping cookie for hot drinks like tea or hot chocolate. So that's another reason why we bake it more often in the fall at the bake shop, it just feels like a fall dessert. This one is definitely going to be on my rotation at home though, the sweet pistachio biscotti is dipped in dark chocolate and topped with more pistachios. Perfect for dipping in a cold glass of milk or a warm spiced tea. Make sure to store your biscotti in a cool dry place, so if you live in a humid climate you'll want to keep these in an airtight container in the fridge. If you live in a dry climate, like I do here, they are fine to leave out on the counter all day long.








Dark Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti

Makes 12


1 stick (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened

170 grams (3/4 cup) organic cane sugar plus 2 tablespoons for topping

1 teaspoon natural pistachio extract

2 organic large eggs

255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt


Topping

142 grams (5 ounces) organic dark chocolate, finely chopped

28 grams (scant 1/4 cup) organic roasted & salted, shelled pistachios


Method

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.


In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, 170 grams of cane sugar, and pistachio extract. Mix on low until combined and there are no chunks of butter. Add the eggs and mix just slightly, enough to break the yolks.


In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and sea salt and whisk together. Add to the butter mixture and mix on low until a stiff dough forms.


Using your hands form a large log out of the cookie dough and flatten slightly so it’s about 1-inch thick, it should be about 13 x 3 inches. Sprinkle the remaining 30 grams of sugar on top of the dough log.


Bake for 35 minutes. Remove log of cookie dough from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.

Then slice into 12 biscotti pieces and bake again for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on baking sheet.


Once the biscotti has cooled, using a double boiler melt 80% of the dark chocolate. Once it has reaches 115°F on a chocolate thermometer, remove from heat and add in the remaining 20% and stir to combine completely. Allow the chocolate to sit until it reaches 91°F on a chocolate thermometer and is in the tempering stage.


While the chocolate is cooling, chop the pistachios into small pieces. Dip one side of each biscotti into the dark chocolate, place back on the baking sheet, and sprinkle with chopped pistachios. Repeat with the rest of the biscotti. Place baking sheet in fridge to set the chocolate for about 1 hour.


Store in a cool dry place, or in the fridge for up to 7 days.


Gluten Free – Replace the all purpose flour with 269 grams (1 3/4 cups) organic gluten free flour blend.


High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Remove log of cookie dough from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut as instructed, and bake again for 15 minutes.

COMPANY
SUBSCRIBE
INFO
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Black RSS Icon

© 2020 Dessert'D Organic Bake Shop