Banana Bread was always something I shied away from because I don't gravitate towards banana flavored desserts. I absolutely love bananas - the fruit. I love them in my smoothie or to eat plain or with peanut butter. But, banana flavored desserts have never really been my thing. Same for Kimmy (my dear friend and co-owner), so when I made a Banana Bread that both of us loved - I knew I had hit the jackpot!
This moist banana bread is a simple and easy recipe that has the perfect amount of banana to it. It has a sweet cinnamon glaze on top which gives it more appeal than if it were just plain, it also makes it seem more like a dessert than a breakfast pastry. This would make an amazing dessert, snack or even breakfast! If you add glaze onto anything it pretty much always makes it better in my opinion. Get the recipe for my Glazed Banana Bread below.
Tips for making the best Banana Bread
• Use overly ripe bananas. This is perfect for when bananas start to go bad, save them for banana bread!
• Make sure your butter is soft! The butter should be so soft that if you used it to spread onto a piece of bread, it wouldn't break or damage the bread at all. You should be able to squish it with your hand easily. When you use soft butter, it allows you to cream the butter and sugar easily so you don't have butter chunks.
• Use room temperature eggs and cream. These ingredients are refrigerator ingredients, and when you add cold ingredients into warm ones (such as adding eggs into creamed butter and sugar that is room temperature, it can clump easily). Using dairy items at room temperature allow them to combine into the batter more easily and will make for a smoother batter.
• Use a USA Pan that has ridges on it so your banana bread comes out easily! You can find my favorite 1 pound loaf pan here. The ridges in these pans help baked goods bake better and also remove from the pan easier!
• Store banana bread in an airtight container the day it's baked. This helps keep banana bread moist, don't leave uncovered as it can dry out easily.
Glazed Banana Bread
Makes 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch Loaf
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic packed dark brown sugar
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
2 organic large ripe bananas
2 organic large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup organic heavy whipping cream, room temperature
170 grams (1 cup plus 3 tablespoons) all natural cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon organic cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons organic milk
1/2 teaspoon organic cinnamon
Method Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan (1 pound loaf pan) with parchment paper, letting it fold over the sides for easier removal.
To make the batter: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, dark brown sugar, bananas and vanilla extract. Add the eggs and cream and mix on low until combined.
Add cake flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt into the mixing bowl in that order. Mix on low until combined, and you have a smooth batter.
Grease the bottom and sides of a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch (1 pound) loaf pan. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Once the loaf has cooled, remove it from the pan.
To make the glaze: Add powdered sugar, cinnamon, and milk and whisk until smooth. Spread over the top of the banana bread.
Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Gluten Free - Replace the cake flour for 170 grams (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon) organic gluten free flour blend, our favorite is Namaste Organic Perfect Flour Blend.
High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Did you make this recipe? Make sure to tag @dessertdorganic on Instagram!